Today, I want to introduce you to one of the most unique wedding venues in Toronto in my opinion – the Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO). With a recently renovated building, the Frank Gehry designed building is a piece of art in and of itself. This venue is a great option for a couple looking for a luxury venue that isn’t a hotel, but wanting something truly unique. Keep reading for our wedding venue overview of the Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO).
- The AGO would be closed at the time of your event, for a fully private celebration
- Permanent collection includes more than 80,000 works of art, with the AGO among the most distinguished art museums in North America
- The first Frank Gehry designed building in Canada
- One main ceremony space and two popular reception spaces to choose from (a few smaller spaces as well)
- A few parking lot options nearby, but valet can be an additional option for guests
- Private gallery tours can be enhance your event
- In-house catering
- One-year AGO membership is included for couples booking weddings here
- Only couples getting married at the venue are allowed to take photos here (no permits!)
- Events are booked based on a minimum food and beverage spend, plus a room rental (additional costs include rentals, security, staffing and AV)
AGO overview: Walker Court Ceremonies
Photo: Stephen Ding Photography
Walker Court overview:
- Get married under the iconic wooden staircase
- Bathed in natural light and beautiful angles, photography is guaranteed to be great here
AGO overview: Galleria Italia
Photo courtesy of the AGO.
Galleria Italia overview:
- This is my favourite space in the AGO! It is the beautiful space just behind the front facade of the AGO with lots of natural light and a beautiful architectural backdrop
- One long, dramatic banquet table is best suited in this space, as seen in the photo
- Seats up to 120 for dinner
- Located on the 2nd floor
AGO overview: Baillie Court
Photo: Stephen Ding Photography
Baillie Court overview:
- This is the venue’s largest space, seating up to 400 guests for dinner
- Long banquet tables serve the room well, but rounds can work as well
- The room has a number of rigging points in the ceiling, allowing for suspension of lights, draping and unique decor
- Located on the 3rd floor
AGO overview: Other event spaces at the AGO
- Sculpture Atrium (main floor) is an intimate space with elongated glass windows, perfect for smaller receptions. Seats up to 60 guests for dinner.
- Frank Restaurant (main floor) is the AGO’s restaurant boasting contemporary finishes and Canadian cuisine. Seats 100 guests for a full buyout or 50 guests in their smaller function rooms.
- Norma Ridley Members’ Lounge (main floor) offers a warm living room feel, perfect for a tea ceremony or bridal suite
Isn’t it fabulous? The AGO is a design and art lovers dream, with architectural insta-worthy features around every corner.
See more from our understated and modern wedding at the AGO here.
Rebecca Chan is a Toronto wedding planner and day of wedding coordinator providing sophisticated planning for the style-savvy couple. Whether you need planning assistance or wedding day coordination, Rebecca can help you create your dream wedding day. Contact her today, she'd love to hear from you.